Upholstery care and maintenance is a way to keep your furniture looking its best for the longest period of time. Upholstery gives your furniture a more comfortable feeling, and makes each home look unique.
When furniture is neglected, over time it will lose its luster, it won’t feel as comfortable, and will start to age and need to be repaired much faster. In this article, we will discuss a few upholstery and maintenance tips that will help you keep your furniture looking great for the maximum time possible.
7 Upholstery Care and Maintenance Tips
Here is a short list of tips on upholstery care and maintenance that you can apply immediately:
- Professional Cleaning – No one wants to pay money to have their furniture cleaned, but having yearly (or every two years) upholstery care and maintenance on your furniture will help it last longer, which will save you lots of money in the long term.
- Manufacturers Know Best – When it comes to self-cleaning care, always follow the cleaning information provided by the manufacturer.
- Know Your Fabric – Different fabrics require different cleaning care. Don’t assume that what works best on one type of leather will work on another.
- Spot Test – To make sure your cleaning solution doesn’t ruin your upholstery, try cleaning a small section first. Choose a small area and apply the solution. Wait until it is dry and inspect the results before adding the solution to the entire upholstery.
- Blot Accidental Spills – Your spills should be removed as quickly as possible to prevent staining. Always blot and don’t rub. Use a clean, dry towel to remove the stain. Afterwards, use a wet towel to remove anything that is remaining.
- Ventilate Your Kitchen – A well ventilated kitchen keeps odors, grease and smoke from dirtying any furniture.
- Try Arm Covers – Sweaty and dirty arms and hands can quickly soil your upholstery and have it looking old quickly. Use arm covers to protect one of the most sensitive parts of your furniture.
If you follow the upholstery care and maintenance tips in this article, you can save money on professional cleaning, and your furniture will continue to look great for much longer.
Upholstery care and maintenance is very important for your home. So is a clean carpet. If you are in the Pittsburgh area and need a professional upholstery or carpet cleaner, contact Renew Carpet Care today! (Call 412-573-9291)